Wednesday, July 18, 2007

De Potentia Promissioque Baptismi ("On the Power and Promise of Baptism")- Part I

"Baptism now saves you..." I Peter 3:21

Preface

In a day when fidelity to Christian orthodoxy is rare, especially in our Anglican quarters, it would seem almost inopportune to pick up the subject of baptism when other weighty matters press us on all sides. For those of us in the so-called continuing bodies who insist on orthodox principles of morals should not become so lost in the fray as to forget the fundamental doctrines of our catholic faith. By "forget" I don't mean an absence from memory as much as a neglect of presentation.

It's my conviction that the theology of baptism is so rich and its symbolism so moving, that to speak of it in dry and remote terms smacks of sacrilige. There is therefore an intended devotional quality that may or may not come through as I would like, but the hope is that the reader will understand with the mind, feel with the heart, and cling more tightly by faith to the blessings of baptism that our Lord and His Apostles set forth in sacred Scripture.

Naturally there will be those outside the Anglican tradition who will vigorously oppose some of the ideas presented here, and for these brethren I have nothing but a loving hope that we can find agreement in the clear matters, and in the speculative matters we can pray for charity to prevail. Even so, I boldly seek out to present the catholic dogma in this matter, informed by Scripture and expounded by the Fathers. If the good reader finally objects, hopefully it will be the fault of my reasoning alone and nothing offensive in style or tone.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Jonathan Bonomo said...

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this brother.

St. Worm said...

LOL! Me too!

I actually *WILL* do nothing but this series until it's done (probably like 8 parts or something) -- it's based on an earlier work I did as a Calvinist back in 1997 called "God In the Dust", I'm just bringing more patristic insights to the table.

I've always been keenly interested in Baptismal theology, and think a blog is a good place to air my -ahem- "learning" (or at least what I've learned up to now). It'll be fun all the same.